HOW TO START A BLOG
Blogging is not only hobby for many but also a source of income. Blogging can be a great way to earn a nice side income.
These days it is very easy to start your own blog, you can have your blog up and running within few minutes.
I started blogging few years back and now make good money from it. I mostly use these 7 ways to make money blogging.
In this step-by-step guide, I will teach you how to start a blog using Host Gator hosting account(I recommend their hosting services which I use on my other blogs)
Click here to get started. Be sure to follow the tutorial below for step-by-step instructions on starting your blog.
Pick your domain name and register it
Domain name for your blog is most important so spend some time in finding best suitable domain name. Just answer these questions to yourself when selecting a domain:
- What will your blog be about?
- Who will be reading your blog?
- Does your name have staying power?
- Will you be building a brand around your name?
Once you have found a domain name for you blog then you can purchase domain and hosting from HostGator
Follow below tutorial to purchase domain and hosting:
1. Visit HostGator and click on Domains located near the top of the page.
2. Enter your domain name in the Find a Domain box and click on Search.
3. Add your domain to the cart, and checkout. Once payment is successful, you are done. Now, you can call yourself proud owner of this domain 🙂
Choose your hosting provider
I would recommend HostGator for hosting any website. I use this web host on my many other websites and blogs, they offer good customer service and, a 99.99% uptime. I have used other web hosting too but they didn’t offer a better price for kind of service they provided.
Follow this tutorial to get your hosting with HostGator.
1. Go to HostGator and click on Hosting > Web Hosting near the top of the page.
Choose the hosting plan that suits your needs. Since you’re just starting out, I recommend choosing the “Hatchling” plan. You can always upgrade later if you need to.
2. On next page, select I already own this domain tab. Enter domain name you purchased earlier and then fill out remaining form.
Make sure that you have unselected all products which you don’t want for now, you can always purchase those later.
Once your form is submitted, HostGator will send you an email that includes your billing account information (separate from your cPanel), your cpanel URL (where you log in to your hosting account), username, and password.
Ok, so you now have your domain and hosting. You are almost closer to having your own WordPress blog.
How To Install WordPress
1. Log in to your cPanel. You can find login information in the email which was sent from HostGator.
2. Once logged in, scroll down until you reach Software/Services and click on Quick Install. You’ll be directed to the Mojo Marketplace.
3. In the left hand sidebar under “Popular Installs” click WordPress.
4. Click onInstall WordPress within the “Install WordPress for FREE” box.
5. Fill out form. To install WordPress on your domain, you WILL NOT type anything into the empty box directly after your main domain (the “install/path/here” box). This is only required if you want to install your blog separately from main website (e.g. www.yoursite.com/blog)
6. Once you have filled out all the fields, click on Install Now.
After successful install, Your admin password will be sent to the email address you provided as your Admin Email.
Once you receive your password, you can then log in to your newly installed site by going to www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin. It will look like this:
Sometimes, it may take around 30 minutes before you can login for first time so don’t worry and wait before trying again.
7. Once you have logged in to your wordpress account then you’ll see this dashboard:
Just browse through different options and start blogging. You can also check my other post how-to-create-a-wordpress-blog-step-by-step-guide
How to Make Money from Blogging
You won’t start making money just for installing your blog. You will need to write few nice posts so your site can be indexed by different search engines which will send traffic to it.
Once you have sufficient posts (at-least 5-10) then you can use multiple ways to make money from your blog. I have listed few here.